Research InterestsI'm a statistician and an applied mathematician, with special interests in Bayesian modeling, spatial data-analysis, time series analysis and penalized linear regression. Especially I'm specialized in developing the statistical scale space methods . I have applied the developed methods on remote sensing, image analysis, climate modeling, and association genetics.
I earned the Doctor of Philosophy degree in the University of Oulu in 2012. Currently I'm working as a postdoctoral researcher in the EBOR-project (Ecological history and long-term dynamics of the Boreal forest ecosystem) where the aim is to understand the effect of factors such as changing climate and human influence on the boreal forest ecosystem over the last 3000 years.
Selected List of Publications
- L. Pasanen, T. Aakala, L. Holmström. A scale space approach for estimating the characteristic feature sizes in hierarchical signals, Stat e195, 2018
- L. Holmström, L. Pasanen. Statistical Scale Space Methods, International Statistical Review, 85(1), 2017
- T. Aakala, L. Pasanen, S. Helama, V. Vakkari, I. Drobyshev, H. Seppä, T. Kuuluvainen, N. Stivrins, T. Wallenius, H. Vasander and Lasse Holmström Multiscale variation in drought controlled historical forest fire activity in the boreal forests of eastern Fennoscandia, Ecological Monographs, 88(11), 2018
- L. Pasanen, L. Holmström. Scale space multiresolution correlation analysis for time series data, Computational Statistics, 32(1):197-218, 2017
- L. Pasanen, L. Holmström. Bayesian Scale Space Analysis of Temporal Changes in Landsat ETM+ Satellite Images, Journal of Applied Statistics, 42(1):50-70, 2015
- L. Pasanen, L. Holmström and M.J. Sillanpää, Bayesian LASSO, Scale Space and Decision Making in Association Genetics, PLoS ONE, 10 (4):e0120017, 2015.
- L. Pasanen, I. Launonen and L. Holmström, A Scale Space Multiresolution Method for Extraction of Time Series Features . Stat, 2(1), 2013.
- L. Holmström, L. Pasanen, Bayesian Scale Space Analysis of Differences in Images. Technometrics, 54(1), 2012.
- L. Holmström, L. Pasanen, R. Furrer, and S. R. Sain. Scale Space Multiresolution Analysis of Random Signals. Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, 55(10):2840 - 2855, 2011.
Personal InformationLeena Ruha (Pasanen) PhD.
Research Unit of Mathematical sciences
University of Oulu